Prepared to Lose Your Glasses? 10 pointers for selecting a LASIK or Laser Vision Correction CenterThe world of ophthalmology is one of the fastest developing fields of medication. Never before have numerous brand-new methods and clinical advancements emerged in such a short duration of time. LASIK surgical treatment, which uses an excimer laser to improve the cornea, provides countless people the chance to decrease or eliminate their need for contacts or glasses .
Tv and radio ads are filled with incredible stories about LASIK surgery as the quick and pain-free way to correct vision, but stories are also appearing about individuals for whom it was less than effective. Before you choose to go under the beam, what can you do to help ensure that you will enjoy with your results?
The key to safe surgical treatment in any field of medication is an informed patient. Take a little time and research study the LASIK center you are thinking about for laser eye surgical treatment. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction cosmetic surgeons in a national study by Ophthalmology Times, uses the following standards to quality care and treatment.
1. Discover a doctor by getting referrals from other doctors or from patients who have actually had LASIK or laser vision correction.
2. Do not be tricked by fancy advertisements about a specific laser. Pick the physician, not the laser. Learn who will in fact do your procedure, then ask about that doctor's credentials (e.g., board accreditation, special training).
3. Choose a doctor who has done at least 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgical treatments. What a medical professional doesn't understand can hurt you.
Ask for details on your physician's LASIK eye surgery issue rates. If your medical professional will not tell you, discover another one.
5. Ask what measures are taken to prevent infection. Look index for a center with a dust-free or sterile operating room. Ensure that disposable parts are not reused. Firmly insist that your eye is completely sanitized, and insist that the surgical instruments be sanitized prior to your eye laser surgery to remove the risk of transmission of HIV or liver disease.
6. Be careful of advertisements pushing "low expense" LASIK surgery. Discount rate surgical treatment is as excellent as a discount parachute. The potential savings are unworthy the risk of receiving less than professional care!
Expect to see really well after LASIK, however do not anticipate to see completely. As with any eye laser surgical treatment, outcomes are as private as each patient. Be careful of any medical professional who promises 20/20 vision.
8. You most likely are if you feel like you're getting a tough sell. Go somewhere else. You're not purchasing a automobile; this is real LASIK eye surgery.
9. Implantable lenses will most likely use much better vision than LASIK if your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so. Think about waiting until the new lenses are available. Ask your physician about them and other recent advances.
10. While you investigate, do not lose sight of the benefits: for that site the majority of people, a lifetime of bad vision can be treated in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgical treatment has enhanced the eyesight of millions of individuals around the world.